Friday, January 20, 2017

5 Things on a Friday: Let's Hope We Make It to Star Wars

It’s kind of a good news, bad news sort of day.  
Bad news: the Son of Satan will be inaugurated later today as 45th President of the United States, beginning a process that will inevitably trigger World War III, the Apocalypse, and possibly the Rapture, depending on whether you believe in those sorts of things.  Even if you don’t, now might be a good time to start reading the Book of Revelations—for near-term investment advice—or to perhaps start praying for the future of humanity.  Your choice.


Good news: the new season of Voltron: Legendary Defender is out!
I’m thinking that we might need to binge-watch.
Private colleges are warning Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s plan to provide free State University of New York tuition could put them at a major disadvantage.
A statewide organization representing more than 100 private colleges and universities has emerged as a careful critic of Cuomo’s new plan, which would provide free SUNY tuition to students from families who make less than $125,000 a year.
One of the guys in my office hates this idea of free college.  He doesn’t have any kids.  
He also says, “Why should I pay for the Fire Department?  My house isn’t on fire.”
The gap between the super-rich and the poorest half of the global population is starker than previously thought, with just eight men, from Bill Gates to Michael Bloomberg, owning as much wealth as 3.6 billion people, according to an analysis by Oxfam released Monday…
[P]ublic anger against this kind of inequality will continue to grow and lead to more seismic political changes akin to last year's election of Donald Trump as U.S. president and Britain's vote to leave the European Union.
I hope this ends discussion of the idea that we can’t simply tax the super-rich to pay for everything.  Clearly, we need to tax exactly eight people, and we’ll be fine.  
Failing that, I think I might pledge my personal allegiance to Michael Bloomberg after the Rapture.  He did a nice job running the City of New York, and I think he’ll make an excellent post-apocalyptic feudal lord.
You have perhaps noticed that in many countries, history-altering numbers of people have grown enraged at the economic elite and their tendency to hog the spoils of globalization. This wave of anger has delivered Donald J. Trump to the White House, sent Britain toward the exit of the European Union, and threatened the future of global trade…
What is striking is what generally is not discussed: bolstering the power of workers to bargain for better wages and redistributing wealth from the top to the bottom.
“That agenda is anathema to a lot of Davos men and women,” said Joseph E. Stiglitz, a Nobel laureate economist and author of numerous books on globalization and economic inequality. “More rights to bargain for workers, that’s the part where Davos man is going to get stuck. The stark reality is that globalization has reduced the bargaining power of workers, and corporations have taken advantage of it.”


“I think that'd be bold. I'd love it, yeah! Then no one would know anything. The less people know, I feel like, the more exciting... the more of an event it is.”
Trailers?  We don't need no stinkin' trailers!
Considering that we don’t even know the name of the next movie, I’d say that Mr. Driver might get his wish.  This definitely looks like a low-information marketing campaign.  Over time that is going to drive fans crazy.  
Assuming the world doesn’t end before the movie premiers, I expect it will do well.
“Look, I don't like Tweeting. I have other things I could be doing… [b]ut I get very dishonest media, very dishonest press. And it's my only way that I can counteract.”



***
It’s gonna be a long four years, folks.  Let’s all just lie back and try to think of England.


No comments:

Post a Comment