Thursday, November 22, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving has become one of my favorite days of the year.  There aren't any presents to worry about, lots of football is on TV, and we have abundant friends to keep us in good cheer.  It's great!  This year, we're headed over to our friends Bruce and Tammy's house.  I don't even have to grill the turkey because Bruce is doing it.

I'm getting over!


I feel richly blessed, and why shouldn't I?  I have a beautiful wife, two great kids, a house that I love in a neighborhood that I can afford, and a very friendly, very fluffy little dog.  I'm healthy, my kids are healthy, and that's the most important thing. 

I hit the gym at Crunch this morning, and I felt great.  Wound up working chest / shoulders / abs.  The highlight was military pressing 40 lb dumbbells and feeling good doing it.  I even managed to run a little this morning on the treadmill, which was cool because I've been nursing a little hamstring injury for the past three months.  I'm not a great runner, but I enjoy running a lot, and I felt really blessed to be able to get back out there again.

I know it's silly, but I derive an immense amount of pleasure from football season.  This has been a good one.  The Army Team is great, the Tennessee Titans are okay, and even the New York Giants may yet turn it around.  And if they don't, well, maybe they wind up drafting West Virginia QB Will Greer.  I could live with that, too.

Football matters because so much else seems so depressing of late.  A lot of folks in this world are not doing as well as I am, and for the most part, there's not a lot I can do about it.  Tuning more into football has by necessity meant tuning less into the domestic and international political scenes.  This in turn has worked a kind of profound change in my day-to-day outlook.  One of life's most important skills is being able to turn away from that which we can't control.  Blind, unthinking fury is a poison to the soul.  By writing more about football, I've absorbed much less of that poison, and I don't mind telling you, it's been wonderful.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks.  Enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment