Friday, April 19, 2019

4500 Yards Swimming (+ Basic Body Fat Analysis)

Long swim today.  And then I decided to rough-calc my body fat percentage.

If that sounds fun, read on!



Warm-Up
5 x 200 @ 3:00 easy
200 kick
10 x 50 @ :45, breathing every 3rd stroke

Main Set
10 x 100 @ 1:20 tempo
100 kick
10 x 100 @ 1:25 aerobic pace

100 easy
200 kick
100 easy

3 x 100 @ 1:30 tempo

My last set was supposed to be 5 x 100 @ 1:30, but my right calf cramped hard at the end of my 3rd rep.  Tired as I was, I decided to cut my workout short rather than risk an injury.  I think that was wise considering that this was already more yardage than I've done in quite some time.

I weighed myself after my workout.  I'm 201 lbs.  That's not bad, though I could certainly stand to lose five or maybe ten pounds around my midsection.  More than that, tho, would probably require a strict vegetarian (pescatarian) diet and NO BEER.

Yeah.  Probably not gonna happen.

Even so, I'm reasonably satisfied.  Back at the Academy, I got down to an in-season body fat percentage of just over 6% at a weight of a little under 165 lbs.  That was fast in the water, but it wasn't super-attractive, if I'm being honest.  I was so thin that I was gaunt, and my cheeks looked hollow.  But I swam okay, and that was what mattered at the time.

At that weight, I had roughly 158.4 lbs of lean body mass.  Let's assume I've got 10 lbs more lean body mass today based on my age and differences in the way that I train.  I do a good bit more weight-lifting now than I did, and that's given me a little more mass through the chest and shoulders, but most of the differences come from cycling.  I've got much more ass and legs today than I had as a cadet.  With that, I'm estimating a current lean body mass of 168.4 lbs. 

168/201 = 83.7% lean body mass.  That's 16.2% body fat. 

Let's round and say that I'm somewhere between 15% and 17% body fat.

That sounds about right.  Recommended body fat for a man my age is between 10% and 22% with the average 21.1%.  By cursory inspection, I am much thinner than average for my age, but just as surely, I could stand to lose a little.  Without doubt, there are some guys who are thinner than I am.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment