Monday, March 23, 2020

Friday's Tarot Reading

Author's Note: I wrote this post last Friday on my phone and have debated posting it ever since.  On the one hand, it kept my mind occupied on a day that I'd decided not to take my laptop on the train.  Putting it together felt marginally more productive than watching Castlevania on Netflix.  On the other hand, I don't want you guys to think I'm promulgating witchcraft or something.


Friday's Tarot Reading

I first learned to read the Tarot for a Halloween carnival at my kids’ school maybe ten years ago. I dressed up like a fortune-teller and did readings for the kids.  To be clear: I do not believe in the power of the Tarot. However, the kids enjoyed the readings, and I’ve always thought of them as an interesting storytelling exercise.  The cards all have multiple meanings, and there is no obvious way the various cards fit together once you deal them out. It’s more like a story prompt. You have to find meaning in a bunch of disparate elements that may or may not work together in any logical way. The hard part is remembering what all the cards are supposed to mean. 

Hence my recent readings. I’m trying to learn the cards better. I even downloaded an app on my phone for this purpose.


The easiest way to remember the cards is by thinking through the suits generally and then trying to apply the picture on the card to find a more specific meaning.

— The Cups (hearts) represents water and the mind; the cards are usually about feelings and emotion. 
Swords (spades) represents air and challenge or conflict. 
Staves (clubs) represents earth and work or struggle. 
Coins (diamonds) represents money and security.

Alas, that still leaves us with the major arcana. Still, it’s a start.


Celtic Cross Reading

The Celtic Cross is a common Tarot spread. It uses ten cards. Two at the heart of the matter, two vertical cards representing internal influences, two horizontal cards representing external influences, and a four card “staff” that is intended to give context to the reading overall. As I said, putting all of that together into a cohesive whole is the interesting part of the exercise.

Friday’s Spread

Friday's Spread


Heart of the Matter

Current influence: Dreams, inner monologues 

Obstacle: Abundance, security 

Critical Life Events

Past Foundation: The Chariot. I’ve come through a hard road & should trust my own instincts.

Past Events: Our past actions should secure us financially.

Goals & Destiny: A challenge is coming, & I must grow to meet it.

Future: The Magician. I have a powerful, well spoken friend & ally, who is likely important going forward.

Context for the Reading

My Card: The Knight if Swords combines zealous dedication with a razor-sharp intellect.

Friends & Family: Struggle & the capacity to overcome it.

Hopes, Fears, Ideals: Work, straight up.

Final Outcome: Queen of Pentacles represents a woman of practical wisdom & affluence.

Interpretation

With the Heart of the Matter focused firmly on my internal desires, and the obstacle actually my own personal abundance, I take all of this to mean that I have to look outside myself.  The past and future stuff seems focused on West Point and my old Army connections.  

In putting it all together, I think the cards are trying to tell me that I’ve been a little too much in my own head.  I and my family -- especially my wife -- are going to be fine. However, some of my friends, especially my classmates, could probably use a bit of my time. I should check in on them.

So yeah. That may not be magic, but it is typically sound advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment