Thursday, February 2, 2023

30-Day Poetry Challenge: Day 2

My daughter Hannah suggested this challenge for our family. She wants to try writing more poetry, and she's hoping that this challenege will get her into the habit.

She, my daughter Emma, and I are all doing the challenge. Today is Day 2.

2. Where is home to you? Tell about a location or people you feel the most comfortable around. Paint a picture with words, capture what you see and feel. 

Salt.
In the air. 
In the water.
In the marsh spreading off to the horizon.
The sun rises in the distance, painting the water golden with its light.
Water lapping softly at the docks.

Strain in my arms and shoulders as we lift my wife's kayak off its mooring.
A few shuffled steps, birds startled, floating dock creaking underfoot.
Heave and release! 
Great bobbing green plastic. Sally stepping gingerly into the boat.

"I'll see you out there!"

Salt.
In the wood under my feet, ancient before its time.
In the air.
In the water.

Lube stick like deodorant.
Under my arms. Around my neck. At the seals on my wetsuit.
Especially there.

Sun low but bright on the horizon.
The water dazzles and is blinding.

The dark goggles today.

Pull up the zipper on my wetsuit.
Skin bunching at the top of my back.
Squeezing.
Fiddling with the zipper and the velcro patch.
Designed by some engineer. Who probably can't even swim.
Pain in the ass.

Why am I stalling?

Pull the cap down.
Down over my ears.
Squeezing.
Squeezing.
Everywhere.
I've gotten too fat for this.
Too old.

Why am I here?
No one cares about this.
If I turn around right now, there is not one person on this entire planet who will ever know or care.

Sigh.

Why am I stalling?

Goggles down, returning twilight.
Guitar chords. Music.
Auditory sensory memory.

In a place you only dream of
Where your soul is always free
Silver stages, golden curtains
Filled my head, plain as can be...*

Salt.
Wood under foot.

Why am I--?
GREAT GOD THAT'S COLD!

Ohmygod! Ohmygod! I can't breathe!
I can't feel my fingers!
I can't feel my feet!

Inhale. 
Exhale.
Inhale. 
Exhale.

Reach out.
Glide.
Pull.
Keep your elbows high.
Glide.
Pull.

As a rainbow grew around the sun
All the stars above who died came from
Somewhere beyond the scene you see
These lovely people played just for me...

Salt.
In the air.
In the water.
In my mouth.
In the sun glinting gold off the water.


*From "Green Grass and High Tides" by the Outlaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment