Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Podcast Widget

I don't know if you guys are interested in this, but I added a new widget to the blog's sidebar today. Have me on your podcast!

I honestly don't know how much these podcast appearances are helping. I get the sense that I've been driving more traffic their way than they've been driving new people to me. But we are trying to get the word out, and I'm not totally sure how else to break out of my little bubble. 

What can you do?

If you look at the blog's sidebar, you can see that I modified the basic bitch widget PodMatch gave me. They say it can fit any width between 160px to 350px, but my sidebar is 280px, and it still looked like shit before I fixed it. My way makes better use of the sidebar's potential verticality, and here we are.

Y'know, it was kind of a random decision to do my West Point Engineering Track in Computer Science based on the fact that I'd coded a little in high school. However, I use the basic concepts I learned there all the time. HTML isn't super-difficult or anything, but I'm not sure I'd have ever considered trying to unpack it had I not already had training with BASIC and C. Hell, I had to program in FORTRAN -- a lot! -- in my last job. Even here, we had to recode parts of this basic bitch widget to get it to display correctly given all the CSS bullshit associated with the blog's overall Theme.

Anyway. I can get an affiliate link and perhaps make a little money through PodMatch, but I think this experiment has about run its course. I've got two appearances booked for later this month, and then I think I'm leaving. Certainly, we haven't seen any uptick in traffic either here or at AFF to make me think this experiment has been worthwhile. But I've still got a few weeks before I can leave, so I guess we'll see. 

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment