Thursday, August 8, 2013

Hiking on Great Head

Hannah bounced back beautifully from her fall Tuesday, and we were able to have another great day yesterday. 

It started out kind of lazy at the cabin. I went for a long swim, up and around the peninsula on which we're staying and then out into the open water of the lake. I set my watch and planned to be gone for around twenty minutes, but I ended up pushing a little further, so that by the time I got back, I'd been gone a bit more than twenty-six. Call that a mile exactly with the occasional stop to stretch and get my bearings out on the lake. 

I got back, took a shower, and saw that Sally was making pancakes. That gave the girls and me time to finish the game of The Legend of Drizzt that we'd started on Monday. We started with Dungeon on Sunday, then played Legend of Drizzt Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and then planned to play the full version of Dungeons and Dragons after Legend of Drizzt was done using the latest version of the D&D Next Playtest Rules that came out last Saturday. 

I was a little annoyed when the new ruleset came out because I'd spent time putting characters and an adventure together for the trip using the old Playtest rules, but as it happens, the new rules were a blessing. Wizards of the Coast (WotC) stripped the new ruleset down to the bare bones, leaving a game that my 8-year-old and my 9-year-old could follow easily and completely. That was a pretty good improvement. Heck, we even got Sally involved, although I don't know how much she was a chalky playing and how much of what she was doing was more-or-less hunkering us. 

Anyway, it didn't take us long to finish up Drizzt once we got going again, and after that we had breakfast and headed out for what was supposed to be a short day-hike around the Thunder Hole and Acadia's Great Head.  








We wound up going quite a bit further than we'd planned. We were out maybe four hours total, and I bet we hiked (and climbed) at least five miles total. Needless to say, by the time we got back to the car, everyone was pretty smoked. Even the dog crashed out, and in fact, she's barely moved since we got back. Lazy puppy!

Today we're taking it a little easier. We're gonna hang around the cabin this morning and then head into Ellsworth this afternoon and hit Cadillac Mountain Sports, get dinner, and then watch The Great Lumberjack Show this evening at 7:00. 








No comments:

Post a Comment