Triathlon Diary: 1/14 to 1/20

The big news this week was, of course, that I got the flu.  I came down with it Saturday after Tri Practice last weekend, and I was in bed from the time that I got home until sometime Tuesday afternoon.  I went to work on Wednesday, but in retrospect, that was a day too early, and it was Friday before I really started to feel like myself again.

Swim
I swam twice this week: once on Friday night and once of Sunday afternoon.  Friday my goal was just to get into the water and see how my body would respond to a little light exercise.  Sunday was a more active effort, and I put a lot more of myself into that workout.  It went like this:
 - 5 x 100 @ 1:40 warm-up (aerobic pace)
 -- 1 minute rest --
 - 5 x 100 @ 1:30 (Temp; holding 1:15)
 - 6 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (2 x fly / breast / free)
 - 100 drill (catch-up / fingertip drag)
 - 6 x 100 pull @ 1:30
 - 100 cool down

Don't get me wrong; I still feel like I have a lot of work to do to get to where I want to be as a swimmer.  But this was a decent workout, and I felt like I was able to lay down a decent effort and not crush myself.  That's progress.

Swim Total: 2 x swim workouts (1500, 2100); 3600 yards total (36 pts)

Bike
I probably could have ridden to work on Friday, but the high temperature that day was supposed to be something like 28-degrees, and I didn't think riding in that was a smart idea.  So no bike mileage this weekend.

Run
We met as normal Friday morning, and I ran with my Club, but again--easy.  I didn't take exact measurements or anything, but it worked out to be almost exactly 40-minutes.  Call it 4.25 miles.

Unfortunately, I was dead on my feet after that.

Run Total: 1 x run (4.25-miles); 4.25 miles total (17 pts)

Total Points for the Week: 53 pts


Final Thoughts
It's a cardinal sin in triathlon to spend too much time working on your best thing.  That said, there are two occasions when I tend to break that rule--first, when I'm coming off an illness or injury, and second, when it's freezing cold outside and working the other disciplines is either a total drag or impractical because of weather conditions.  I had both this week and will probably continue through at least mid-March, so I suppose I've got some swimming in my immediate future.

The other thing on my mind is wondering how much of an impact this week will have on my long term training plan.  As I've mentioned before, I work on a four-week cycle--three working weeks followed by a rest week.  This was supposed to be a Week 2, but with my being sick, it wasn't much of a work week.  That's fine, but I hesitate to call it a rest week, either, and so while I'm tempted to call next week a regular Week 1 and just reset the cycle, I've also got to make sure to monitor my workload and schedule another rest week sooner than I normally would if that becomes necessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs