Wednesday, August 28, 2013


I was tired yesterday. Between being busy at work and putting in a harder-than-I'd-intended run yesterday during lunch, by the time I got home, it kinda felt like I'd been hit by a truck. We had a late dinner, struggled to get the kids ready for bed--and for school today--and then sat down to watch TV. And then we (finally) went to bed, with me taking a couple of Advil and doing fifteen minutes or so of yoga before laying down to go to sleep.

I should do that very night. 

The Advil calmed the tendons around my right ankle, which have been sore since the beach run Sunday morning but really flared after yesterday's run, and the yoga loosened up my back, and for once, I fell straight into a dead sleep.  I won't say I felt great when I woke up this morning, but I felt okay, and for whatever reason, I looked thinner in the mirror this morning, like I'd finally lost all the weight I put on while we were on vacation a couple of weeks ago. 

Where I really noticed the difference, though, was on the bike ride into the office his morning. I made no particular effort to ride hard and didn't have any real luck with traffic lights, but I still feel like I rode we'll, and objectively speaking, I made it into the office in a mere twenty-one minutes--a pretty good time overall. I don't keep score every day, but when I do, twenty minutes is about the best I ever do without hitting all the green lights.

At this point, I kind of feel like, finally, I'm coming out of my post-vacation funk. I felt good running on Sunday, especially during warm-ups, and I felt good today, and it seems like I've managed to trim the extra pounds from vacation at long last. Ten days for six pounds; that seems reasonable, right?  Anyway, the acid test will come tonight when I hit the pool--and the scale--but who knows?  Maybe I can still close the Tri season out on a high note after all.  

I still feel ready for a break, but it'd be way better to go out on a high note. 

No comments:

Post a Comment