Friday, September 20, 2013

I'm trying to be open minded, but this new iOS is driving me crazy

I get wanting to up-sell your customer-base to the newest, best-est thing, but this time I can't help but think that maybe Apple has gone too far. Certainly they've gone too far for me. 

Up until yesterday, my iPhone 4S met all of my phone/mobile data needs perfectly and made me happy as could be. It did social media, let me track my runs and bike rides, took pictures, sent texts...  And, oh by the way, you could use it to make calls. Plus, all of this came in a smoothly functioning, easy to use package.

Then iOS7 dropped, and now my phone is suddenly underpowered and over-cluttered, and while I'm sure I'll adjust, for now, it's driving me crazy. It reminds me of when Microsoft released Vista--an OS meant to run on high-powered machines with great built-in graphics cards--straight into the teeth of a market that was moving towards netbooks that were cheaper, less powerful machines than computers had traditionally been. Because, bottom line, only a tiny sliver of the market actually needs all those high-powered applications that the highest end computer can run these days, and when the current technology suits your needs, there's little incentive to upgrade. 

This, I think, is where the mobile phone space is moving. Devices like the Nexus 5 and even that Nokia phone that's mostly just a camera are starting to look like winners against super-high-powered quad-core phones that cost FAR more in order to deliver services that very few actually desire. I mean, does anyone actually need a quad-core processor in their cellphone? I certainly do not, and I'm not about to be up-sold to one just help the boys in Cupertino make their quarterly numbers next Spring.  I will, on the other hand, move down-market if the trade offs are insignificant, and the price break is large enough. That is kind of the way life works sometimes. 

Last thing I'll say about iOS7 is that for all its "new" features, it's still only playing catchup with other entrants in the market. For example, Air Drop is an add-on inspired by Samsung's Galaxy phones, Safari's redesigned look is a clear imitation of Chrome, and iTunes Radio is a just a competitor for Pandora. That's all fine, but none of it is the kind of killer app that made Apple what it is today, and none of it is worth upgrading over.  Which leaves us with Apple's rather Microsoftesque planned obsolescence program. But while that may succeed in forcing folks off of their current Apple products, it's not much of a viable strategy long-term. Moreover, it may even cost the company market-share over time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment