Thursday, September 12, 2013

This Week's Picks (NFL Week 2)

Fucking Shanahan.

I can accept that the Ravens maybe aren't as good as I thought they were or that maybe the Denver Broncos are better than I thought they'd be.  But RG3 and the Redskins in general looked like absolute shit Monday night, and for that, I blame Mike Shanahan.  Not only was his star quarterback out of sorts after not having played the entire pre-season, his team was also totally unprepared for the spread offense.  And, I mean, c'mon!  It's not like it was a surprise what these guys were gonna do out there.


Personally, I think RG3 just isn't the same player that he was last year.  Every time he tried to run Monday night, he looked tentative and slow, and he got caught from behind several times.  The announers played it off like, "Wow, these Eagle defenders sure are fast!"  But in reality, I think RG3 just isn't as healthy as he was, and that we can (and should) lay that blame right at the feet of the man that put him out there to get banged up in the first place.

So.  Bottom line, I went 1-2 with my picks last week.  Which, amazingly, is just as good as anybody else in the office did, but it's still not good.  Last week was a chance to steal a march on my commrades, and I didn't capitalize.  I hate that.

On the bright side, at least my Titans look better than I thought they'd be.  Of all my picks, the one that paid off was the one in which I had the least faith.

This Week's Picks:

New York Jets (+12.5) at New England Patriots.
I'm not a believer in the Jets, but twelve-and-a-half is a Hell of a lot of points for a Divisional game, and the Patriots do not look like the Patriots of yesteryear as of yet.  Perhaps when Gronk comes back, they will, but until then, I'm not picking them to cover any massive spreads.


San Francisco 49ers (+3) at Seattle Seahawks.
This is definitely the game of the weekend.  And for as much as I think Colin Kaepernick is a tattoed thug, there is no denying that he's also a Hell of a good football player.  He's at least as good as Russell Wilson, and he's got a better supporting cast.  In fact, I think the 49ers look like a good bet to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl, and yeah, maybe the Seahawks are their next closest competition, but for now, I'm still on the Kaepernick bandwagon.  He made me a rather reluctant believer last weekend.

That said, this pick is kind of a happiness hedge because emotionally speaking, I much prefer Russell Wilson and would rather see the Seahawks win.  I just don't think it's going to happen.


Washington Redskins at Green Bay Packers (-7).
What do you get when you add a sub-par Defense and a gimp-kneed quarterback?  Nothing good, I'll tell you that.  Plus, I refuse to believe that Aaron Rodgers and company slump twice in a row.  Green Bay's defense did a really nice job against the 49ers' running game, and Washington's not as good as San Francisco in any phase of the game.  

So yeah, I'll take Green Bay to give the 'Skins their second ass-whipping in a row.

***
So there you have it.  Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment