Monday, October 5, 2015

Tri Training Log: 9/28 - 10/4 (Week 2)

This was a big swimming week.  That was by design but also by necessity because of the rain.  My goals for the week were to put in 6000 yards in a long swim workout and to get in two runs.  I managed to get the long swim done but flat forgot to go on my first run during the week.

Oops.

I should maybe note that I am not actually training for any triathlons right now.  I am, however, considering an attempt at swimming solo across Long Island Sound.  This is why I've been so focused on swimming.


Swim
I got in the pool three times this week, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  Tuesday was kind of a mid-distance day.

5 x 100 warm up @ 1:30
8 x 200 @ 2:55, descending 1 to 4 twice
100 warm down

My next thing is actually a 5K run at my class reunion, so I've started doing some uptempo work to hopefully support that a bit.  The 200s descending were part of that effort, though I've no idea how much that will help.

Thursday was another sort of mid-tempo day.  I did the 5 x 100 warm-up again and then 15 x 100 @ 1:30 (85% effort).  That worked out to be just over 1:15/100.  

Saturday's swim was the main effort for the week.

Warm-Up
200 SKIPS*

Main Set
15 x 200 @ 2:50 aerobic pace

400 kick
50  easy
10 x 100 pull @ 1:30
50 easy/drill
8 x 50 @ :45, (1 x fly, 3 x free) twice

100 warm down

That was a lot.

Swimming Total: 3 x swim (2200, 2000, 6000); 102 pts


Bike
It rained all week, which is good because we've had a bit of a drought in Connecticut this summer. That kept me off the bike most of the week, though.  I managed to get in two commute rides, but that's all.

Cycling Total: 2 x commute ride (10.7 each); 21.4 pts


Run
I meant to run Wednesday at lunch, brought in my clothes, and flat forgot all about it.  They're still there, sitting in a drawer in my desk.  I did go out for an easy run Sunday.  Wound up with 4.3 miles at about 9:15/mile pace.  That's not too bad.  It's (finally) cooler here, and if that's not necessarily making me run faster, it is making me a happier runner.

As is perhaps obvious, I'm running mostly as a way of cross-training right now.  I like to run, but I'm not particularly good at it, and that's fine.  For the time being, I mostly just want to hold my form.

Running Total: 1 x easy run (4.3 miles); 17 pts

Tri Training Total: 140.7 pts

I'm really pleased with that total, especially when you consider that I only logged twenty miles on the bike.  I usually pick up about a third of my total training just from bike-commuting.  But I barely rode at all this week and still managed to put in a decent week.  That's pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment