Freedom '90

My favorite George Michael song is Freedom '90 off the album Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1.  Michael's not even in the video, and the idea that he's burning his own success and former image could come off as hackneyed as Hell.  Instead, it's a brilliant piece of art about declaring independence from the expectations of others.



Listen Without Prejudice came out at the beginning of my senior year of high school, and none other than my father, a Marine infantry colonel who'd just come off two years commanding 1st Recon Battalion out at Camp Pendleton, bought it for me.  I was shocked.  First, because I didn't particularly care for Faith--George Michael's in general was  outside my particular musical preferences at that age--and also because my father found out about the album before I did!

I loved it.  It remains on my phone even now.  I've been known to listen to that particular album just walking around New York, on my way to or from my office.

Comments