Friday, August 23, 2019

CFB Games of the Week: Week 0

If you missed it, As For Football launched a new podcast this morning called College Football Roundtable.  We’re using a gameshow-style format for a 30-minute discussion of the happenings in college football beyond the Army Team, and although I’m no unbiased observer, I was super-pleased with the way the new show came out. 


 

For better or worse, a lot of the new show is mine.  My Friday column CFB Roundtable inspired the show, most of the new show’s format is my design, and I get to host.  That is all really awesome.  But it leaves me without a way to talk about my favorite non-Army games of the week, nor does AFF’s current publishing schedule allow room for a return of the print version, either.  
So my old-school CFB Roundtable-style column is going to be here this season – at least as long as I have time to write it, anyway.  No idea how many of you will follow me all the way to Casa Cabeza to read my ramblings, but I’ve decided to just do my thing and hope for the best.  Really, this project has already paid dividends beyond what I would ever have expected, but let’s keep it going and see what happens.
Plus, Week 0 is easy because there are only four games.  Of those, three are interesting.

via ESPN.
Games of the Week
Arizona at Hawai’i (+11) – 10:30 pm (CBS Sports)
I’ve been saying all offseason that folks are sleeping on Hawai’i, and that’s still my opinion.  Really, neither of these teams played a lick of defense last year, but the Rainbows at least won a few games.  Arizona went 5-7, finishing with a bad one-point loss to Arizona State.
Reality is that whoever gets the ball last is gonna win.  Give me the Rainbows and the points at home.
Pick: Hawai’i (+13)
Eleven was a lot of points, but the line had run to almost two touchdowns by Wednesday afternoon.  Friends, Hawai’i has a tendency to open fast.  The question for the Rainbows is whether they can sustain their level of play for an entire season.
Florida (-7) vs. Miami – 7:00 pm on ESPN
I don’t know if the Gators are back, but man, I hope they are.  College football is more entertaining when Florida matters.  I care less about Miami, and I suppose that’s convenient given that they haven’t looked legit in half a decade.
Both these defenses are good.  I’m also a fan of Florida’s running game, which is why I’d lean towards the Gators.  But that’s not my pick.
Pick: Under 47 points
I expect this to start ugly, with the Gators getting their shit together first.
Villanova at Colgate (-3.5) – Noon on CBS Sports
This might actually be the best game of the weekend.  Colgate starts 147th on the Sagarin Rankings.  Villanova is 161st.  By way of comparison, Rice stands 170th while UTEP is 176th.
Army fans ought to remember Colgate.  The Patriot League powerhouse runs a super-heavy inside version of the zone-read, pounding the rock relentlessly while their defense smothers you.  The Red Raiders smoked absolutely everyone in the FCS in 2018, right up until the playoffs.  They start 2019 ranked 14th and looking to build on a remarkable season.  By comparison, Villanova opened their 2018 campaign by beating Temple.
Pick: Colgate (-3.5)
I believe in the Red Raiders, but this game scares me.  The Patriot has had some decent teams from time to time, but no one’s arguing that they’re the tops of the FCS.  Meanwhile, ‘Nova has a history of playing the best and winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment