Saturday, October 12, 2019

Pics from Round Pond and Army vs. Tulane

It's been a week.  I know.  But better late than never, right?

Before we get started with these, let me stipulate that I definitely need to read more about how and why we edit photographs, especially with filters.  I've read a few Internet articles, but that's not the same as understanding of the process.  I've learned a few things, but I like to understand why things work.  I need more theory.  I did most of these based solely on "feel," and in a lot of cases, that means that I know something's wrong, but I can't put my finger on what or how to fix it.

I took about half of these.  My wife took the ones from Michie Stadium and of the game.  She also, obviously, took the one of me.  I took the landscapes from Round Pond.

Technical note: to see full screen versions, click any picture.  You can even scroll through from that view.

Ready?

Let's get it on.

This first set is from Round Pond Campground, a few miles away from West Point's main post.




Sally saw those last two and noted that I really like shooting lifeguard chairs.  That's true.

This one might be my favorite from the bunch.



This was the first time we'd taken the pop-up out under non-summer conditions.  It was chilly that first night.

Brrr...
The camper at night, taken with a flash.
This is Hannah all bundled up.  Nice fire, tho.
Obligatory morning selfie.


In retrospect, I've become more frustrated with the way this game played out.  Army's defense got smoked, and with that, they really struggled to stay competitive.  But still, FB Connor Slomka had something like 10 carries on a day when we needed full-on Slomkamania.

Army went away from what was working multiple times on offense.  That drives me crazy.

Michie Stadium in fall.
With Rick & Nancy Stiek at their -- always epic -- tailgate.
Family shot from the stands.
On target at halftime.
Kickoff!
I think Sally took most of these on Portrait Mode.  That made some of them blurry when there were differences in focal length.  Added to that, this next one was originally a much wider shot.  I cropped it to focus on FB Sandon McCoy then leaned into the blurry aspect using a filter called "dream".

McCoy is an excellent blocker.  So the idea here is that McCoy is gonna lay a hit, and afterwards, the victim will be dazed and confused.  In his memory, the last few moments will be a blur.

I mean, I hate explaining my work, but you weren't gonna think of that on your own, right?



"Hopkins on the Keeper!"
And you wondered why I wanted to keep pounding the middle.  I mean, look at that hole!
The Hellcats.  Now that Emma's in the school marching band, we pay a lot of attention to this stuff.

Two-shots of me and Hannah:




Sally took this last shot of me Sunday morning.  I really like this shot.  I'm not a beautiful man, but this came out pretty good.



That's all folks.  See you again after San Jose State!

No comments:

Post a Comment