Saturday, January 28, 2023

AFF Mini-Redesign Notes

I did a little redesign of AsForFootball.Com recently. The redesign started because our version of PHP -- the programming language for the site itself -- got stale, which in turn caused some of our basic plug-ins to quit working. 

This was a pain in the ass.


Honestly, I was hoping to just sort of ignore this problem, especially during the heart of football season, but then the slider plug-in that we'd been using to feature new posts also quit working. That forced us to do something

I disconnected the old slider and found a new one, but that changed the basic look of the site. I wasn't happy with the new look, but I also wasn't sure what to do about it, and I knew that I was way too busy to do a whole science project and figure it all out.

Sigh.

Thankfully, our Internet Service Provider (ISP) moved us onto a new server with an upgraded version of PHP just as football season was ending. Suddenly we not only no longer had a problem, we had a whole new set of possible plug-ins that we could use for the site. Now, instead of simply bandaging over emerging problems, I could actively change stuff, doing pretty much whatever I wanted.

Of course, the right answer in these situations is not always immediately obvious, but in this case, we at least knew a few things that could guide us in some kind of general direction.


 

It occured to me after I wrote all that on Twitter that most folks are looking at this stuff on their phones, in which case they won't see 75% of the new stuff. That's fine in the sense that we've gone to some trouble to make sure that everything works well and looks at least reasonably good on mobile -- though substantially better in landscape mode -- I don't know...  I mean, maybe you're curious about what we actually did here. Granted, probably not curious enough for a post on As For Football itself, but potentially curious enough for a post on my personal blog.

Anyway, here's a little explainer. You can click on the images to expand them to full size.


Front page

Posts page

That's it, friends. I'm headed to the gym. 

Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment