Sunday, January 22, 2023

The Worst-Kept Secret in the World

The worst-kept secret in the world is that Sally and I have been working on a skiing training plan for her business, Headspace.Fit

We asked folks how much they were training now and how much they thought they ought to train for a specific event.
Consensus said 5-10 hours per week with some flexibility built into the schedule.

You may remember that we launched a little survey on Survey Monkey last week asking folks' thoughts on what a potential training plan ought to look like? 

That survey was for this project.

If you're wondering, my first cut for this plan called for seven hours of physical training per week. My wife and older daughter both thought that was an insanely large amount of time and dedication to demand from "average" people, so we launched this survey. I'm not sure how many "average" people actually answered the survey since most of my friends are West Pointers, but then again, how many "average" people ski? How many "average" people ski at altitude? 

Regardless, we realized pretty quickly that we needed to make this plan flexible in its approach. Five to ten hours per week seemed like the sweet spot, with adaptations as necessary to fit both clients' schedules and their personal fitness backgrounds.

Anyway, the good news is that we've now tested that thing extensively this season, through a variety of conditions, and it really works. Like, yo, it is outstandingly successful. We put in some 29 runs over the last two days at Mount Snow and Okemo totalling more than 30K vertical feet, and I am not sore at all save for my calves. So we need to add some calf-raises or something to the strength-training component, but besides that, I feel really, really good about what we've developed. 

We -- meaning I -- still need to test the aerobic and anaerobic components at altitude, but so far, so good. I am excited.

With that in mind, Sally and I want to develop three levels for this plan. 

First, there is going to be a written version, probably available in a simple PDF, where you can take the basic concepts and adapt them into your existing workout program. I don't know that I necessarily believe that a lot of people will actually do this, but I feel like we should at least offer the option. However, my sense is that if you already know how to adapt specific workout concepts into your existing fitness routine without expert assistance, then you probably also already know enough to train yourself to ski and/or snowboard without expert assistance. Maybe you still need a push to get going, but that's not what's on offer at this level of the program.

The second level will offer virtual consultations and/or coaching sessions with Sally, hopefully available on a per session basis. Maybe you just need one session to help you personalize your plan. Maybe you need weekly sessions to help you hold yourself accountable and to ensure that you're actually doing the things you said you were going to do. Regardless, we're trying to make this thing flexible. 

There's definitely a space here for people who know how to workout generally but who nevertheless need help developing an actual plan that works for a specific purpose. In my experience, that describes most people. Indeed, the good thing about the virtual coaching program is that Sally can work with you to adapt the program as you go, which is one of the hardest parts of actually sticking with a program over time. 

Am I doing too much? Am I not doing enough? How much rest do I need? 

That stuff is actually the hard part.

The third level will offer in-person coaching for folks who're local. I'm the least clear on how that's going to work, but Sally has been wanting to build her personal training business, and I *know* that there are people out there who want a coach with them as much as possible.

So anyway, that's the worst-kept secret in the world. We told you that I would let you know more about that survey we put out and what the results were, and now we have. 

Be on the lookout for the training program itself, too.  Not sure we're gonna get that thing launched in time for the current ski season, but the program is definitely coming.

Thanks. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment