Saturday, February 18, 2012

Saturday Morning, and Not Much Is Going On.

My favorite part of the weekend by far is early on Saturday morning, before my wife or my kids get up.  The house is quiet, and I have time to read the news, get a cup of coffee, update my games, and basically do whatever I want.  I'm a busy guy.  These early weekend mornings are pretty much the only time all week that I have completely to myself.  No one needs anything from me, and they won't for awhile, and I don't need to be anywhere.  It's so vanishingly rare that I have time to myself like that that I actually find myself looking forward to waking up early in the weekends just to have a little time to myself.

I know.  Crazy, right?

What can I say?  I've been getting up at 5:00am since I was a fourteen-year-old high school swimmer heading off to morning practice before school.  Being in the Army certainly didn't help, and working a job with an early start-time in NYC hasn't helped, either.  So at this point, the habit is hard-wired.

Today's a little different in that my games are updated, and nothing real interesting is going on in the news.  Plus, I already talked about the new SI cover model this week.  So...  what to do?  I'm certainly not going to sit here and write anything.  Too much like work.  Instead, let me introduce you to a couple of blogs I've discovered recently.

Art by Stowe
James Stowe is an artist.  I don't know him personally, but I found him via Myth-Weavers when I was looking for a way to teach my girls D&D.  His blog-post D&D For 8-Year-Olds is an instant classic, easily one of the cleverest uses of D&D I've seen in a while.


The Id DM
I discovered The Id DM after listening to an episode of the Critical Hits podcast found via iTunes.  The blog's creator, Michael, is a practicing psychologist, and he uses that background--specifically, his background in statistics--to analyze D&D and its game-play.  He's also got a pretty good post about the issues that WotC has to confront in order to successfully launch the next edition of D&D.


Run Dangerously
And finally, RunDangerously.  This blog belongs to a local lawyer/runner/photographer (he's specifically a hybrid Lawyer/Runner with the Photographer multi-class feat), and I found it when I was looking for race results for the Stratford YMCA Sweetheart Run.  He posted a bunch of really cool pics from the race, and there you have it.  To say the least, the guy is a better runner than I am, but I personally just like seeing all those race pics.  Racing is a decidedly social event, and RunDangerously captures that nicely.

***

If you're wondering, the rest of the day for me is looking pretty relaxed.  Sally and I are going for a long run later this morning up at the Trumbull Rail Trail.  After that, I gotta go take my bike to the shop--the wheels felt a little out of true last time I went for a real ride--and then I gotta stop by the library.  And if I get a chance, I'll probably swing by my local comic shop (LCS) to keep looking for a decent comic trade paperback for my daughter Emma's birthday.  

Beyond that, I hope I get a chance to write another beer review this afternoon, but if that doesn't happen, well, at least maybe I'll get a chance to drink some beer, anyway.

Anybody else out there got anything planned for this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment