Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Comics, Day 4. Bronx Angel: Born Leader (Page 3)

Bronx Angel: Born Leader, Page 3.
Click here to view at Full Size
Last week, I said that the reason we hired Randy Valiente to draw this book is the way he captures action and motion.  We see that nicely here, especially in that first panel.  I love that panel.  It was exactly what I was looking for here.

For the composition, well, for this book I did a lot of the page layouts myself.  Not so much the figure placement but rather the panel layouts, which are a key component of timing and story emphasis.  I mention that because at the time I was writing this, I was not only working in the Bronx, I was also reading the now-famous Bendis/Maleev run on Daredevil, one of my all-time favorite comic story arcs.  That run is famous for the way Bendis wrote the dialogue, but the thing that really spoke to me was the way that these guys laid the book out.  It was a lot of little panels, punctuated by the occasional really BIG panel that exploded the points of emphasis off the page.  That technique worked for me as a reader, and I tried to emulate it here as a writer.  This specific page is the first of many where we'll see that.

As always, to read the story from the beginning, click the Sunday Comics tag below.  That's what it's there for.

No comments:

Post a Comment