Triathlon Diary: 1/7 to 1/13

I felt great for most of the week.  Better than I've felt in months.  I had burst on the bike, slept well during the week, and ran well when I got the chance.  It was pretty terrific.

Would that that would have continued.

I started kind of going downhill on Friday, though to be honest, I didn't think anything of it.  I mean, I had a little cough, but who cares?  It wasn't the end of the world, and I didn't want to make it more than it was.  But then Saturday--after our first Triathlon practice with the Tri Club--I spiked a fever and went down hard.

I've been trying to recover ever since.

Swim
My plan was to either swim before Tri Practice on Saturday or swim Sunday with the girls.  Sally convinced me to swim Sunday because she said that the girls would like it if I took them, so that  was what I decided to do, but then I got sick, and...  Anyway, no swimming this week.

Bike
I rode my regular commute ride three times this week, and I felt good doing it.  As I said earlier, I felt like I had burst on the bike for the first time in a long time.  Like I wasn't just riding.  I was enjoying myself.

Biking Total: 3 x commute ride, 34.2 miles (34.2 pts)

Run
I ran twice, Thursday and Saturday.  Thursday was right at five miles, easy on the way out, tempo on the way back.  That worked out to be maybe 8:45/mile for the first half and something like 8:20/mile for the back half.  And I took some pictures; you might have seen those.  I don't know if they were art, but I liked the one of me with the sunglasses.

Saturday was a different story.  We met for the Tri Club, and like I said, I'd been feeling a little rough but decided to tough it out.  I mean, come on, I wasn't even considering wimping out at the first practice in front of the club!  We went for a little more than four-and-a-half miles, alternating pace setting duties.  Sally brought us home, though, and as I told the others when we set out, you can't be in a hurry to pick up the pace when you run with her because she's like a sleeping dragon.  When she wakes, it means pain.  In this case, she woke up right at the half-way mark, just as we were going up one of the hills.  And when she put down the hammer, we all felt it.

Run Total: 2 x mid-distance runs, 9.6 miles total (38.4 points)

Total Points for the week: 72.6 points

Final Thoughts
If I'd managed to get into the pool on Sunday, this would have been a 95 point week, and that would have been right where I wanted to be.  As it is, though, I'm just trying to recover from what I hope isn't the flu and get back to doing what I do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs