Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Stray Voltage: 5/21/13

Sally and I were supposed to ride together this morning, but after a hard week of work last week and then a second night in a row of crappy sleep, I begged off.  And even now that I'm feeling better, I still can't say that it was the wrong decision.


Being an adult triathlete is a tricky deal.  You want to train as hard as you can and be the best that you can be, but the reality is that you actually get faster when you rest.  And if you don't rest enough, you're almost guaranteed an injury, especially as you get older.  

The trick is learning to listen to your body and to do what it's telling you that you need to do.   So anyway, I feel good about skipping a workout this morning, as weird as that may seem.


***
The deal between Yahoo and Tumblr has me interested.  I wrote this morning on Facebook that I felt like it was a good deal until I'd read the details.  I mean, Tumblr is a big site, and I'd have assumed that they were profitable.  Very profitable.  But, as it happens, the company only had $13M in revenues last year, against something like $25M in expenses.  


"If you want to do the math on what it would take for Yahoo to justify the price tag, Brian Pitz, an analyst at Jefferies, has sketched it out. By his count, Yahoo will need to figure out a way to make $127 million a year in profit from Tumblr, meaning the site would have to bring in an additional $950 million annually in advertising revenue."


And for this, Yahoo paid a billion dollars?  That can't be good.


***
Here's the trailer for the new Avengers cartoon, Avengers Assemble.





It's not a bad concept or anything, but that art is crap.  Coming from the House of Mouse, that shit is totally unacceptable.  

I mean, they cancelled Earth's Mightiest Heroes for this?  Ugh.

***
Finally, train service in Connecticut is supposed to be restored this afternoon after the derailment on Friday last week.  I suppose I'm happy, though it's been nice to work from home.

And that's all I got.  Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment