Monday, September 5, 2016

Still Celebrating

We're still celebrating the start of college football season and Army's opening win.  If you haven't seen it, here are the highlights.



As I mentioned endlessly on Twitter this weekend, I was on Blog Talk Radio's "Back Talk with Sharona" to talk about the game on Saturday morning.

We were actually camping this weekend, so I wound up listening to most of the game on SiriusXM satellite radio during the drive to the campsite and while we were setting up our tents--in the dark!  As a result, there were a couple of omissions in the interview that I'd like to correct.  For example, I said that CB Marcus Hyatt made his interception in the End Zone, but he actually made it as Temple was approaching the Red Zone.  I also called out FB Darnell Wolfolk and SB Jordan Asberry for having good games, and it's true that they did.  However, FB Andy Davidson was the game's real hero.  He had almost half of Army's rushing yardage, especially as Temple's defense wore down in the second half.  Wolfolk carried more early--when I was in the car--which is why I remembered his play.  I also should have called out SB Tyler Campbell, who had a rushing touchdown on a beautiful pitch late in the second half.

With all of that said, I still think the interview does a good job of introducing Army's players and setting expectations for the coming season.  This was my first "radio" interview, and it took me a couple of minutes to get into the groove, but in all fairness, I think it came out okay.  I'm pleased with the way it sounds.



Last note on this topic: I often think of myself as a writer, but mostly as a novelist or maybe as blogger/memoirist.  This was the first time I've ever thought of myself as a "sportswriter".  It was weird being on the radio as an ostensible "expert" on Army Football, but as a matter of reality, I think there's enough decent writing on this blog to back up a half-hour interview or two.  It was awesome but still very surprising to have someone else--someone who actually is a sportswriter--think this as well, however.

I never know what people are going to find interesting around here.  I am glad, though, that my passion for Army Football seems to have caught the interest of some of my readers.  That's more fun for everybody.


Quick teaser for this week's preview of the home opener against Rice:

Western Kentucky beat Rice 46-14. WKU QB Mike White went 25/31 for 517 yards with 3 touchdowns and a whopping 80.6% completion percentage.  The Hilltoppers also ran for 97 yards.

Question: if I'm Army Coach Jeff Monken, do I start QB Chris Carter this week and try to throw at what is an obviously porous Rice secondary, or do I stay with the hot hand in Ahmad Bradshaw?  Before you answer, keep in my that Army's best offensive player may very well be Firstie WR Edgar Poe, who was quiet in the win over Temple.  You'd probably like to get Poe involved sooner rather than later.  Monken knows he's going to need Poe against some of the better teams on the year's schedule, however this second game of the season might be a little early to start tinkering with an offense that is obviously working.

***

Lastly, yes, it's been a lot of Army Football on the blog this week.  However, that stuff is easy to write, especially since it involves a lot of statistics and embedded social media.  Speaking for myself, I spent a lot more time working on this week's Friday Mad Science: How to Meet Women.

If you haven't read that yet, please do me a favor and check it out.  As of now, it has just seventy-nine readers.  Considering how much time I spent on it, I was hoping it would do a little better than that.

That's all I've got.  Have a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment