#SBRLLR: Drinking Beer & Looking at Old Pictures

Spoiler Alert: When your folks die, you're gonna have to go thru a million old pictures.  Sally asked me to go through some old picture albums today since she's been cleaning up our garage, and I found one from one of my ancestors dated 1923 to 1924.  It details his literal trip around the world.  He's got pictures from Japan, China, Egypt, and every point in between.

Dude was, like, a member of the landed gentry from the farmlands of Middle Tennessee.  An honest-to-God Southern Gentleman.  It's crazy.  At times, I badly want to go back in time and lecture my one-time family members about the values of financial responsibility.  I've had to start rebuilding the family wealth almost from scratch, and that's fine in the sense that I had a few advantages when I started, but it's also maddening, all things considered.  But what can you do?

I'll share the pics from that trip some other time.  Documenting it will be much more work than I want to put in today.  For now, I'm three beers into a Yankee game, having already put in the best swim workout I've had this season.

I'm reloading calories, if you will.  One of the virtues of distance athletics.

Anyway, these pics are from another album, and I'm sharing them today because I'm not sure I'm going to get all the way through editing the next chapter of my memoir this week.  On the off chance that I don't make it all the way through the next bit, these will have to tide you over a week.  Sorry in advance if that happens.

Pics after the jump.


This picture wasn't dated.  I think it's one of my dad's
high school pics, but I'm not sure.  It could be from UT. 
My folks' wedding pic.  Bittersweet.
But look how happy they are.
Rare picture of my father with his father, and they're both smiling.
This was part of a set from the day when my dad pinned on his captain's bars.
That's me in my mother's arms.
If you read this week's post, then you already know that I am, at best, a mediocre
marksman with a rifle.  What's weird about that is that I'm a terrific shot with a bow.
I learned when I was eleven and can shoot like Robin Hood.  For real. 
See?


Another rare pic, from the competition pool at Camp Lejeune. This pool was like a cave, and it was totally normal to have practices with just me,
my buddy Brian, and Coach Pete.
This is another pic from junior high school.
I hated New Bern, but this was the best house we ever owned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs