Sunday, June 12, 2022

Swim Across the Sound (Update 2): Aerobic Threshold Mystery!

Well friends, we have reached the part of the training cycle in which I remember why I retired from competition. Which is to say that I woke up this morning tired and sore to the point that it took a real effort of will to get out of bed and go swim. Looking back on my competitive swimming career these days often feels like remembering that time I had a mental illness. I was mad about everything pretty much all the time, and I used those feelings to fuel my competitive fires. Today I’m in a much better headspace, and that’s great 99% of the time, but boy, it is sooooo much more difficult to find the right mindset when things get tough in training.

Click here to learn more about our Swim Across the Sound team.

Sally and I went to see Sammy Hagar & the Circle in concert this past Friday night. Fun show, but we wound up drinking a decent amount, and it was hot in there. I won’t say I felt awful Saturday, but I certainly didn’t feel great. Despite drinking a full bottle of water before going to bed Friday night, I still woke up Saturday feeling like a wrung sponge. Managed to put in 4000 yards in the pool Saturday morning while Emma was at dance, but they weren’t, like, great yards. I think the best we can say about them is that they were serviceable.

My main set was three times through:

  • 3 x 200 @ 2:50, aerobic pace
  • 100 kick
  • :30 rest

Aerobic-paced sets can get kind of tricky in the pool. You want to keep your heart rate between 70% and 80% of your heart rate max for an extended period of time. This can be a lot harder to do than you might think. Runners often train to do this using a heart rate monitor -- I’ve done that myself -- but unless you feel like wearing a chest strap when you swim, maintaining a steady heart rate while swimming can be much more challenging. Once you get going, the natural tendency is to speed up, leading to a crash down the line. When you’re training to swim pretty much all day, those kinds of crashes are counterproductive.

So I bought a new swimming watch, the Garmin Swim 2. This thing can take one’s heart rate while swimming, which is amazing.

I have for years assumed that my aerobic heart rate was about 140. Doing aerobic sets, then, I’d typically do 200s with ~10 seconds rest, take my heart rate for 6 seconds between sets, multiply by 10, and there we are. Bottom line, I needed to be around 13-14 beats in 6 seconds to stay on threshold.

Swimming Saturday, my heart rate sat stubbornly between 131 and 136 pretty much all set. The good news is that I swam comfortably at that rate -- if not fast -- but even when I later did a 200 for time at the end of my workout, I could only get my heart rate up to about 146 bpm.

But hey, maybe that was just the hangover talking. Right?

So today I did a shorter workout with longer intervals at a higher intensity. My main set was 2 x (5 x 100 @ 1:30), trying to hold 1:15 or better throughout. This was tempo work, not true speed work, so maybe 85% to 90% effort overall. I took each hundred out steady and tried to build through each rep, and I was between 1:13 and 1:15 all the way through, generally getting faster through each set overall. Performance-wise, this wasn’t too bad. Coming at the end of a long week of training, I was more than happy with it.

Again, though, my heart rate sat stubbornly between 140 and 145 throughout the set with a measured max at 146. Granted, I wasn’t out there doing intervals of butterfly, but still… I’d have expected to get up into the 150s easily. Going by feel, I was definitely hitting 90% effort on the back half of each 100.

Sigh. Maybe my max heart rate has fallen in recent years, I guess because of age. The most recent formula I’ve seen is 211 - (0.64) x age, which predicts a HR Max for me of ~180 bpm. But that still yields an aerobic threshold of around 143 bpm, which is more or less where I’d assumed I’d be going in.

So I don’t know. Either I’m just tired, and that’s making it hard to get legitimately cranked up in the pool -- a distinct possibility -- or else my aerobic threshold is somehow a Hell of a lot lower than it used to be. Or maybe my new watch just isn’t figuring my HR correctly while I’m swimming.

Something is going on.

The article referenced above suggests a methodology for finding one’s max heart rate that would involve something like 3 x (2 x 50 Fly @ 1:00) tempo pace. I might try that next week just to see if I can get up into the 170s. Certainly, that’s about where I’d expect to be on a set like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment