Friday, October 7, 2022

Thursday Swim + Weight Workout

I finally got back in the gym yesterday. I say “finally,” but really, it had only been a few days. Still, it must be said that I enjoy working out more than I enjoy just about any other activity, and more to the point, I’ve recently cut both alcohol and ice cream from my diet. This is not a permanent change of state or anything, but if you’re gonna diet, it’s extremely annoying not be able to pair that with exercise, especially if exercise is literally your favorite thing. 

This little dieting experiment didn’t start as an attempt to cut weight to see my six-pack again, but that’s definitely where we are now.

Anyway. I know there are some lunatics out there who really like reading about my workouts. Yesterday’s was as follows:

Swimming: 3000 Yards

Warm-Up (Do Twice):

  • 200 Free @ 3:00

  • 2 x 100 Free @ 1:30

  • 100 Kick with fins

10 x 50 @ :45, breathing every 3rd stroke

10 x 50 Kick with fins (tempo) @ :50

100 Easy

Main Set: 

  • 400 @ 6:00, descending by 100s

  • 4 x 100 @ 1:25, descending 1-4

100 Warm Down

This took about 50 minutes all-in. Both that kick set and the Main Set were really, really hard, too, if you’re wondering.


Weights: Shoulders / Chest / Triceps

Unless otherwise noted, I did each set three times.

Obligatory gym selfie

Warm-Up:

  • 10 minutes of stretching/yoga, focused on my lower back & core

Set 1:

  • Dumbbell (DB) Military Press (Warm-Up Set + 3 Working Sets)

  • 12 x Bodyweight Squats

  • 15 x Tuck-Ups

Set 2:

Set 3:

Set 4:

Warm-Down: ~5 minutes of yoga, again focused on my hips & core.

Been struggling with some lower back problems. This pose, The Pigeon, has been my solution.

This also took about 50 minutes all-in. I didn’t push too super-hard, but I’m definitely lifting at full strength, finally. Pushed 37.5 for my last two sets of DB Military Press. Pushed 55 lbs for my heavy set of Incline DB Press. That’s all good.

I am about ready to add a little weight to my leg workouts, but it’s tricky because my knees aren’t the best. The last thing I want is to get hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment