Friday, February 17, 2023

30-Day Poetry Challenge: Day 16

My daughter Hannah suggested this challenge for our family. She wants to try writing more poetry, and she's hoping that this challenge will get her into the habit.

She, my daughter Emma, and I started this thing, and then my wife joined after a few days. Now we are all doing the challenge. 

Yesterday was Day 16.

16. Think about the outdoors after it rains. Place yourself in the setting and describe what it's like.

Short Beach in Stratford, CT, after a rain storm.

Hard rain on a Friday night;
It never makes things better,
I wanted to swim tomorrow
But now there’s runoff in the water.

Sigh.

Rain coming off the streets,
Washing oil & other crap into the Sound,
Sending bacteria levels up,
And bringing the beach mood down.

We just wanted a nice weekend,
But now there’s all this crappy rain.
Making the ground all mushy,
And now it’s harder to train.

I’m dreaming of open water
While watching the rain drops fall.
It just doesn’t seem fair;
This weather has dropped the ball.


No comments:

Post a Comment