Wednesday, February 15, 2023

30 Day Poetry Challenge: Day 15

My daughter Hannah suggested this challenge for our family. She wants to try writing more poetry, and she's hoping that this challenge will get her into the habit.

She, my daughter Emma, and I started this thing, and then my wife joined after a few days. Now we are all doing the challenge. 

Today is Day 15.

15. Use vivid imagery to write about a tree in a forest. Describe what the environment feels like, the colors, the scent of the leaves.


The Glade

Sliding down the bumpy trail,
Music blaring,
Feeling it.
Front edge,
Drop in,
Back edge,
Drop in.
I’m flying.
Guitar riffs urge me on…

Faster.
Front edge,
Back edge,
Front edge,
Back edge,
Flow…

As the trees get closer.
Tighter
Closer still…

Slide through a hard edge and stop.

Pine trees are everywhere,
Green and brown on white,
Heady scent with a whiff of real danger…

“When did we get into this glade?”

A few brave souls have blazed a trail.
Power cords tell me to
Drop in,
Hard edge,
Drop in,
Attack.
Slide to stop, and I’m…

Tumbling.

Green, brown, white,
Green, brown, white,
Stick my board, and then
Blue sky glimpsed through the forest canopy.

Slowly right myself,
Heart racing.
Take a breath,
Make sure everything is still attached.

Double-click my headphones to something
Less aggressive.
Push sideways,
But the trees close in.
Slide back to the trail,
But that dude was better than me.

Hey. At least it’s a little more open.

Patience. I can do this.

Rocking.
Sliding down.
Back and forth,
Back and forth,
Front to back, then
Back to front.
Again,
And again…

Trees slide by slowly,
Green and brown on white
Heady scent with a whiff of real danger…

But this forest seems endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment