Sunday, February 19, 2023

30 Day Poetry Challenge: Day 19

My daughter Hannah suggested this challenge for our family. She wanted to try writing more poetry, and she hoped that this challenge might get her into the habit. She, my daughter Emma, and I started this thing, and then my wife joined after a few days. Now we are all doing the challenge. 

Today is Day 19.

We've not all loved every single one of these prompts, and though I've personally tried to fight through as many as I could, real life has gotten in the way a few times. We're therefore going from Day 17 straight to Day 19 -- and then probably to Day 21. 

But we'll see.

19. Write about a textile in your home and the character it brings to the space. 

Sally likes a lot of WP stuff, but not my Green Girl.
My Green Girl is almost as old as me;
She’s gotten frayed and a little ragged.
She’s got holes where you can see her stuffing,
At times, we’re both a little haggard.

My Green Girl doesn’t brighten the space;
She’s not some old-school, classic beauty.
But she’s been there for me many times,
With loyalty and a sense of duty.

My Green Girl still feels like home,
Even after all these years.
She comforts me in the dead of night,
To take away my fears.

Alas, my Green Girl isn’t welcome
In the bed with my wife and me.
Sally doesn’t like her much;
She’s got a little jealousy.

But I can’t, I won’t give my Green Girl up,
Not after all this time.
For awhile it was just me & her;
Forgetting that would be a crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment